Your customers face increasing pressure to simultaneously support new business initiatives and reduce IT costs, including the cost to store protected data. In order to achieve both, they simply must modernize their data centers and transform their IT infrastructure—extensively automating for speed, agility, reliability and cost control.
The combination of Dell EMC Data Domain and Dell EMC Data Protection Software can help customers cost-effectively optimize their infrastructure. As validated by ESG Research, this Dell EMC combination can cut the cost of capacity needed to protect data by up to 81%, compared to Data Domain environments using non-Dell EMC backup software.
How does a comprehensive Dell EMC data protection solution lower data protection costs?
- Advanced Dell EMC deduplication technologies work in tandem within an end-to-end Dell EMC system and help to reduce or eliminate tape infrastructure, effectively helping to reduce cost
- These technologies also help minimize bandwidth demands, achieve a smaller infrastructure footprint and lower associated energy costs
In fact, end-to-end Dell EMC data protection can safeguard customers’ data for as little as fractions of a penny per GB per month.
Safeguarding the Entire Data Protection Continuum
Dell EMC offers solutions across the entire continuum of data protection—from always-on hot data storage protection to long-term cold data retention. What’s more, these solutions work no matter what deployment model your customer chooses, whether on-premises, in the cloud or a combination of the two.
Dell EMC offers a solution to fit a customer’s unique deployment needs.
For example, a customer might …
- Combine best-of-breed, off-the-shelf protection storage with Dell EMC Data Protection Software
- Use converged systems, such as the Dell EMC Integrated Data Protection Appliance
- Deploy Dell EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition for a software-defined data center
- Receive Dell EMC data protection-as-a-service from a long list of Dell EMC service providers
The possibilities are as varied and individual as your customers and their requirements.
Dell EMC data protection solutions are architected to offer customers economic benefits through industry-leading, highly efficient data deduplication. Four core supporting technologies are:
- Variable-Length Deduplication. Dell EMC’s advanced dedupe enables the Data Domain platform to better align incoming data structures to determine what data is unique. It produces greater data reduction compared with fixed-length architectures, which results in a much more scalable protection storage pool, helping to simplify management and lower infrastructure costs. Plus, Dell EMC provides global deduplication across sites and clients.
- Data Domain Boost. With DD Boost software, only unique data has to be sent from client devices or the backup server to the Data Domain platform—reducing the amount of data moved by up to 99%. This further reduces not only the need and cost of protection storage, but also backup time. When DD Boost is deployed with the Data Protection Software at the client, it sends only the de-duplicated unique data directly to protection storage, by-passing the media server. The result is a reduction in infrastructure footprint required, therefore fewer resources to purchase and manage, not to mention a faster backup due to fewer hops in the data path. For 8 of 12 Data Domain customers that ESG Research analyzed, up to 98% of all backup jobs were completed in under an hour.
- Stream-Informed Segment Layout (SISL) Architecture. With this technology, 99% of the deduplication process takes place in the CPU and RAM of the Data Domain controller. This dispenses having to add disks to increase performance. It enables the controller to attain the same performance as higher capacity configurations with larger storage footprints, thereby reducing space requirements for data protection.
- Data Domain Data Invulnerability Architecture. While this technology doesn’t improve performance or reduce costs, it ensures that mission critical data is always recoverable. One way that Data Domain ensures this is via inline write and read verification, which safeguards data integrity during ingest and retrieval. In addition, self-healing and on-going fault detection further protects data’s recoverability during its Data Domain lifecycle.
In all, the combination of Dell EMC protection storage and backup and recovery software technologies increase data protection performance by dramatically reducing the amount of data that is required to be sent and stored. They provide a direct data path from the client by sending only unique data to the protection storage—and critically, they provide advanced data integrity to ensure recoverability.
Position yourself to win and sell with the #1 data protection portfolio in the market—from Dell EMC. It offers high-performance solutions from the edge to the core to the cloud, providing modern, transformative and automated data protection for workloads today and tomorrow.
By partnering with Dell EMC to deliver comprehensive data protection solutions, your customers can trust in you to help them safeguard their data, the lifeblood of their business. Customers who use a single vendor data protection solution spend nearly 3x less on data loss in comparison to those who go with a multi-vendor solution. Whether they are tenants of cloud or users of the modern software-defined data center, your customers will appreciate the simplicity and cost savings of end-to-end Dell EMC data protection solutions to assist them in their IT transformation journey.
Get all the details of the ESG Research white paper to help you sell integrated Dell EMC data protection more easily. Also, earn rewards and take advantage of H2FY18 channel incentives on Sales Edge and Data Protection promotional offerings.
ESG White Paper sponsored by Dell EMC, “The Economic Value of Data Domain,” May 2017. Actual cost savings will vary.
IBID. Savings calculated over three years versus the competition. Cost per GB/month based on analysis of hardware, software, power, cooling and deduplication for 12 active Dell EMC customers. Actual cost will vary.
ESG Whitepaper sponsored by Dell EMC, “The Economic Value of Data Domain,” May 2017. 8 out of 12 customers analyzed achieved backup in less than one hour. Actual results will vary.
Per IDC, based on aggregate data protection and recovery software and purpose-built backup appliance revenue as of June 2017