In a modern data center, workload placement should be driven by business strategy – and it is no surprise that 93% of customers are deploying their workloads across 2 or more clouds. Where hardware investments are being made, we find that businesses are purchasing new equipment for emerging workloads 67% of the time. This dynamic landscape requires innovations to place the right workload in the right cloud deployment.
Dell EMC and AMD partnered together to address the requirements of a multi-cloud world. Dell EMC realized that the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC TM processors offered outstanding performance, faster memory and I/O bandwidth and the security features to handle complex workloads.
So we went to work. We leaned on our server market leadership and engineering excellence to reimagine a new kind of server. A server that would take the full advantage of new technologies and deliver what we know how to do best, servers that what would offer optimal performance, effortless data center management and integrated security.
Dell EMC is proud to bring you the new Dell EMC PowerEdge servers with the 2nd Generation AMD EPYCTM processors purposely designed to address the most complex requirements, regardless of workload.
Based on internal testing we are seeing some phenomenal results. Take for example the PowerEdge C6525. This server delivered weather modeling results in half the time as previous generation AMD EPYC servers for faster severe storm notification. Performance we can rely on, especially during hurricane season. In addition, the Dell EMC Ready Solutions for HPC now include the PowerEdge C6525. The Dell EMC Ready Solutions for HPC simplify and shorten the time it takes to design and configure HPC systems built to execute compute-intensive tasks in real-time.
To give you a sense of what to expect from these new servers, here is a statement from Purdue University regarding their experience:
“Artificial intelligence and machine learning applications are key ingredients in the Purdue Integrative Data Science Initiative’s goals of enabling future giant leaps and educating students in data science. These applications also are tremendously compute-intensive. The compute capacity of the new Dell EMC PowerEdge servers with 2nd Generation AMD EPYC processors can handle these workloads. They offer us additional, cost effective options for delivering the necessary capabilities to our community cluster program’s faculty partners.”
– Preston M. Smith, Director of Research Services and Support, Purdue University
These Dell EMC PowerEdge servers are built with the same care and diligence that has made PowerEdge the bedrock of the modern data center. These servers leverage the following Dell EMC leading-edge innovations:
- Multi-Cloud Environment: We are implementing the capabilities of the AMD EPYC processors into our cloud offerings as well. Dell EMC is including the vSAN Ready Node building blocks, the Dell EMC VXrail product line, and VMWare Cloud Foundation with the Dell Technologies cloud certification.
- Emerging Workloads: We ensured that our HPC solutions incorporate the new technologies of the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC. In the Dell EMC HPC Innovations lab, we have built a 64-node cluster with PowerEdge C6525 servers. This solution delivers 4,096 2nd Generation AMD EPYC cores. This unique facility provides a sandbox for our customers to test and develop applications, while taking advantage of Dell EMC’s HPC / AI expertise.
- Accelerated Performance: These PowerEdge servers are designed to take full advantage of the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC for compute intensive and bandwidth hungry applications like AI / ML / DL. We optimized the PCIe risers and storage backplanes to leverage every PCIe lane available in the server. This provides ultimate flexibility, whether you need high performance PCIe slots like GPUs in a 2U server or 24 Direct NVMe for lowest latency storage applications.
- Effortless Management: The Dell EMC OpenManage Ecosystem delivers integrations like VMware Cloud Foundation and vCenter via OpenManage Redfish Composability APIs. When installed in the cloud, any cloud, customers can easily manage the servers, the OS and the hypervisors from a single screen. Customers who leverage our management solutions have reported significant reductions in server updates and deployment times. One customer for example, reported that OpenManage made it possible to update and manage 300 servers in 30 minutes. A job that used to require 20 days to complete without the OpenManage tools.
- Integrated Security: PowerEdge servers are cyber resilient by design. Dell EMC end-to-end security such as the iDRAC based silicon root of trust and signed firmware updates helps protect against malicious activities at both the hardware and the firmware level. The new servers support AMD’s Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) and Secure Memory Encryption (SME) to add additional layers of security at the hypervisor and at the OS levels.
At Dell EMC we are determined to enable business outcomes at the speed of innovation, that way customers can focus on what matters to them: their business priorities. The Dell EMC PowerEdge servers with the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC deliver accelerated performance, effortless management and integrated security. These servers bring innovations to our customers, so they can deploy their traditional, emerging and/or complex workloads in a multi-cloud world. But our work is never finished. We are here to support our customers even before they need us. With ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist, customers can resolve issues with up to 72%less effort.
 Principled Technologies (PT) report commissioned by Dell EMC, “Get flexible, feature-rich datacenter management at a lower cost,” March 2018