Today we’re launching ECS (Elastic Cloud Storage) 3.0, the latest release of EMC’s cloud-scale object storage platform. Companies around the world are trying to harness the digital economy to engage with customers in new and interesting ways. This digital transformation requires a radically different approach to IT, as traditional infrastructure was not meant to serve the needs of an always connected world generating Zetabytes of data. Not surprisingly, many IT leaders are trying to work through a significant challenge – how do I transform my organization’s IT infrastructure to be more agile, but do so without any disruption to the business?
As the third generation of EMC’s object platform, ECS can help customers navigate this tradeoff. With ECS, organizations can not only embrace cloud-native applications that directly enable Digital Transformation, but can also optimize their existing, traditional IT investments. Here are some highlights of the ECS 3.0 release:
- ECS now certified to run on Dell Servers: Customers have the flexibility of consuming ECS as a turnkey appliance, or as software running on their hardware.
- ECS Dedicated Cloud Service: A managed offering that allows customers to use dedicated ECS units running in Virtustream datacenters around the world.
- Ultra-dense tape replacement SKU: The new ultra-dense D-Series ECS nodes can now pack up to 6.2 PB in a single rack, making it a great system for replacing ageing tape libraries
- Workload Flexibility: ECS supports multiple protocols like Amazon S3, Centera CAS, NFS, OpenStack SWIFT, and HDFS. This enables organizations to pool data from multiple sources into one, single, global data lake that can be used to eliminated the silos that effect traditional storage platforms With the launch of v3.0, ECS also supports Windows-based (CIFS/SMB) applications.
- New capabilities for enterprises: New features aimed at large enterprises, such as advanced retention management (ARM), enhanced compliance capabilities, as well as improved monitoring and alerting features
The customer response to ECS since its launch has been phenomenal, and our momentum has been recognized by the analyst community as well. IDC analyst Ashish Nadkarni has said that “ECS has one of the best Object Storage architectures suited for 3rd Platform applications,” and ESG recently validated that ECS can help customers achieve upto a 60% lower storage TCO than leading public cloud providers.